Depending on the age of your home, the region it was built, and the level of moisture and/or humidity in your home can determine how much, or how little your family could be affected by hidden household hazards. These hazards include: asbestos, radon, lead, and mold – specifically black mold.
If you’re home was built before 1980 there is a good chance that you have asbestos somewhere in your home. It might be in the roofing shingles or it could be in the siding, but unless it was removed by a previous owner, there’s a high likelihood that you could have an asbestos issue. Generally speaking asbestos isn’t dangerous until it is disturbed and fibers are released into the air. Those fiber are then enhaled creating an exposure to asbestos that could lead to health issues down the road.
Like Asbestos, lead was a widely used heavy metal in many things relating to your home from plumbing fixtures to lead based paint. While it is toxic for all humans (and pets) it is especially toxic to children. Lead poisoning can lead to a host of emotional and learning disabilities as well as other physical issues.
Radon is a naturally occurring, colorless and odorless, radioactive gas that can cause lung cancer. Most radon issues occur inside homes that trap radon gas escaping from the soil beneath. The trapped radon gas creates high concentrations of the gas and thus a higher exposure. Fortunately, radon gas can be affordably controlled by installing a radon mitigation system.
Toxic black mold releases spores as it propagates through common household materials such as carpet, drywall, and insulation. These black mold spores can cause a variety of health issues in people and pets. Mild symptoms include sneezing, coughing, rashes and fatigue. Prolonged exposure can cause more dangerous symptoms such as vomiting, bleeding in the lungs, and nose bleeds.
The infographic below is focused on the hidden household hazards and is created by Aegis Environmental Inc. Check out pollutants and contaminants harming your family and even your pets.
Embed This Image On Your Site (copy code below):